Link Bait is simply creating a piece of viral content that people will want to link to and share across the web, typically through forms of social media. There are a number of differ formats that link bait comes in, however they all have one thing in common. People WANT to share it! In order for something to be considered “Link Bait” it must have one or all of these qualities ~ Original, Viral, Compelling, Comprehensive, Conceptual/State of the Art, Highest Quality, Controversial, Funny, Breaking News…and the list goes on. The point is that it cannot just be any ordinary piece of content. There needs to be a new angle or way of presenting information for it to be worthy for people to share.
Link Bait comes in all different shapes and sizes. Here is a quick list of different formats link bait can come in.
Link Bait Techniques
- Videos [Funny, Outside the Box)
- Top x Lists
- Controversial Topics
- Complete Guides and Reports
- Interesting Polls and Surveys
- Topic Specific Recaps and Roundups
- Free Tools and Software
- Giveaways, Freebies, and Sweepstakes
- First to Discuss
- First to Cover Breaking News
- Inside Look/Previews
Examples of Great LinkBait
Everyday there is a new piece of linkbait that is published on the web. However there have been some examples of link bait that have set the standard for great pieces of viral content. Take a look at some great examples and notice the different ways the content is delivered.
- ProBlogger: An Introduction to Linkbaiting
- Search Engine Journal: Link Baiting & Effective Link Building
- SEO Book: Link Baiting or Link Baiting Strategies
- Matt Cutts: SEO Advice: Linkbait and Link Baiting
- SEOmoz: Why Link Building and Landing Pages Don’t Mix [Video]
- Smashing Magazine: Golden Rules of Linkbaiting
- SEOptimise: 45 Link Baiting Resources: Ideas, Techniques, Case Studies, & Drawbacks