Ahh yes, we have all received e-mails from SEO companies promising the world for $199/month! Unfortunately there are more unethical SEO companies out there than ones you can trust. So if you are a business or organization looking for a reputable firm to hire, how do you know what to look for? or more importantly what NOT to look for?
Here are 25 red flags you should be aware of if a SEO company says:
- We Promise First Page Rankings
- We Promise #1 Keyword Placement
- We Promise a Certain Number of Keywords to Rank on Page 1
- We Guarantee x Percentage in Organic Traffic
- SEO Can Be a Short-term Marketing Strategy
- Pay Us to Get on Google
- We Have a Special Arrangement with Google
- You Don’t Have to Contribute to a Social Media Strategy
- You Don’t Need to Worry About Website Content
- We Will Replicate Your Site and Put it on Multiple Domains
- We Will Duplicate a Page Hundreds of Times
- We Can Hide Text by Matching the Same Color as the Background
- Stuffing the Keywords in the Title Will Help
- Automated Link Building Will Help Your Rankings
- We Know the Exact Algorithm Google Uses to Rank Sites
- Rankings Are Everything in SEO
- We Don’t Need to Touch Your Website Code
- We Can Take Articles From Other Sources and Put Them on Your Site
- You Need to Pay Monthly for your Local Business Listings to Show Up
- Visitor Traffic is the Only Thing to Worry About
- You Have to Submit Your Website to the Search Engines
- Reciprocal Link Exchange Can Increase Your Rankings
- We Can Get Your Site Unbanned for x Dollars
- All You Have to Do is Add Keywords in the Code
- We Build Only Manual Links – Even Though They Are Automated
Hi! Nice article, I agree with most of it. After all a client that knows what he pays for, won't get excited with words "first", "best", "#1" etc
Great advice, there are a lot of shady operators out there and if you pick the wrong SEO firm your site can really suffer.
Excellent advice! Searching for a good seo firm can be like a needle in a haystack. There are many companies out there who are unethical. You have to make sure you do your homework before choosing one.
but the fact is - they've fool many site owners alreadywell, i would say this is just part of a strategy - we SEO's knows what clients want to hear and so we'd let them hear itgreat article, hopefully clients would spend time to check what SEO is all about before engaging to any companies
SEO companies can provide you valuable services to optimise your site in order to get maximum customer’s attention, but some SEO companies with their overly aggressive marketing efforts and manipulating the search engine results in an unfair manner are creating a situation for the industry where the customers are loosing their trust.social bookmarking
WE PROMISE FIRST PAGE RANKING...that's the most common promise I see on the web. It's sad that some entrepreneur take the bait. It's still a good thing to stick with the ethical way of optimizing your site, may take a bit slow but will surely last. By the way when Google ban a site or blocked your site, you don't have to pay someone $xxx to do it, you can actually contact Google yourself and ask for reasons why your site was banned and perhaps you can still do something. I've done this before within 24-28 hours I got a reply and my site was up again. It was only because of a malware attack all I needed was clean my server that's all. I didn't pay anyone.